Tuesday, May 25, 2010

How I Became a Hooker :)

OK, OK it's not what you think! Get your mind back up into higher places!!

Here's a new, fun weekly theme which I will TRY to post on Sunday or Monday. Note that I said "try."
A question will be posed each Sunday by Loose Threads on Create Crochet, an Etsy team I belong to, and will be answered by each participating member via their blogs! Should be fun and a great way to get to know each other. (It may or may not be crochet related!)

♥ ♥ ♥ Even if you don't belong to the team, feel free to leave your own comment on "the question" -- I'd love to hear what your own experiences are!

So, this week's question: When did you start crocheting? Did you teach yourself or did someone teach you? Tell us the story of how you became a hooker.

As so many do, I grew up surrounded by needle crafters and artists. My mother sewed, making nearly all my clothes as a child, and crocheted. A dear aunt did beautiful china painting and watercolors. She also made some amazing hooked rugs, dying her own wool from my uncle's Naval uniforms.  I had other aunts who quilted. My brother is quite the artist. My own drawing ability is sub-zero so I turned to cross-stitch, embroidery and ceramics to express my creative side.

I learned to crochet in my mid-twenties (no, not THE mid-20s, MY mid-20s -- hehe), initially from a co-worker and then on my own. Here is a picture of the first thing I crocheted (the co-worker said that it would be best to learn using thread instead of yarn -- I have always questioned the brilliance in that!)



And here is what it's SUPPOSED to look like!



I never finished it -- beginning what would become a long line of UFO's (or, in crochet jargon, UnFinished Object) and WIP's (Work in Progress or, I intend to finish it someday).  Oh, the precedents are set early in life....

Who knows why I began on such an ambitious project! (and who knows why I kept it, and more importantly, how I knew where it was!!)

From then on, I was self-taught -- got a really good magazine (which I still have) that showed great illustrations of the stitches and had easy projects.

And the rest is history!!

7 comments:

VeganCraftastic said...

Wow, that really is an ambitious first project! My first crochet project was an eyeglasses case made in single crochet.

MyHobbyShop said...

Very pretty first project. I am glad I am not the only one that has unfinished projects. Until I joined this team I didn't realize there were official terms for it. I just figured I had a short attention span. Thanks for sharing!!

http://myhobbyshopblog.blogspot.com/

Mamta said...

Coincidence again. See my 1st project:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/awesomecollection/3534240790/

See any similarity???

and here's my blog:
www.mamtamotiyani.blogspot.com

Marianne's Musings said...

It seems many have had someone start them on the crochet path, and then most took the self-teaching path to get where they are today. Just goes to show how talented one can be with just a little nudge.

Lacey said...

Ok, I think you did an awesome job for that being your first project! Although I would also question the brlliance of learning on thread, lol!
Loose Threads

Raige Creations said...

WOW - that was your first project?!? Uh...mine was a scarf of single crochets...boring...but I was in elementary school at the time. I didn't even think of crochet again until last winter, thanks to my mother-in-law, who also took it up again after a long break a few years prior. She was creating great things, and then she bought me my own hooks and ractice yarn. Then I was hoooked. :)
I started quilting before this on my own, going from a memory of my late Grandmothers quilts. Also memory from elementary school. We do learn from those around us, even if we don't know it at the time.

Sarah~Magnolia Surprise said...

Thanks, everyone, for your comments - it's been fun reading all the hooking memories :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails