Tuesday, May 25, 2010

How I Became a Hooker :)

OK, OK it's not what you think! Get your mind back up into higher places!!

Here's a new, fun weekly theme which I will TRY to post on Sunday or Monday. Note that I said "try."
A question will be posed each Sunday by Loose Threads on Create Crochet, an Etsy team I belong to, and will be answered by each participating member via their blogs! Should be fun and a great way to get to know each other. (It may or may not be crochet related!)

♥ ♥ ♥ Even if you don't belong to the team, feel free to leave your own comment on "the question" -- I'd love to hear what your own experiences are!

So, this week's question: When did you start crocheting? Did you teach yourself or did someone teach you? Tell us the story of how you became a hooker.

As so many do, I grew up surrounded by needle crafters and artists. My mother sewed, making nearly all my clothes as a child, and crocheted. A dear aunt did beautiful china painting and watercolors. She also made some amazing hooked rugs, dying her own wool from my uncle's Naval uniforms.  I had other aunts who quilted. My brother is quite the artist. My own drawing ability is sub-zero so I turned to cross-stitch, embroidery and ceramics to express my creative side.

I learned to crochet in my mid-twenties (no, not THE mid-20s, MY mid-20s -- hehe), initially from a co-worker and then on my own. Here is a picture of the first thing I crocheted (the co-worker said that it would be best to learn using thread instead of yarn -- I have always questioned the brilliance in that!)



And here is what it's SUPPOSED to look like!



I never finished it -- beginning what would become a long line of UFO's (or, in crochet jargon, UnFinished Object) and WIP's (Work in Progress or, I intend to finish it someday).  Oh, the precedents are set early in life....

Who knows why I began on such an ambitious project! (and who knows why I kept it, and more importantly, how I knew where it was!!)

From then on, I was self-taught -- got a really good magazine (which I still have) that showed great illustrations of the stitches and had easy projects.

And the rest is history!!

7 comments:

VeganCraftastic said...

Wow, that really is an ambitious first project! My first crochet project was an eyeglasses case made in single crochet.

MyHobbyShop said...

Very pretty first project. I am glad I am not the only one that has unfinished projects. Until I joined this team I didn't realize there were official terms for it. I just figured I had a short attention span. Thanks for sharing!!

http://myhobbyshopblog.blogspot.com/

Mamta Motiyani said...

Coincidence again. See my 1st project:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/awesomecollection/3534240790/

See any similarity???

and here's my blog:
www.mamtamotiyani.blogspot.com

Marianne's Musings said...

It seems many have had someone start them on the crochet path, and then most took the self-teaching path to get where they are today. Just goes to show how talented one can be with just a little nudge.

Lacey said...

Ok, I think you did an awesome job for that being your first project! Although I would also question the brlliance of learning on thread, lol!
Loose Threads

Raige Creations said...

WOW - that was your first project?!? Uh...mine was a scarf of single crochets...boring...but I was in elementary school at the time. I didn't even think of crochet again until last winter, thanks to my mother-in-law, who also took it up again after a long break a few years prior. She was creating great things, and then she bought me my own hooks and ractice yarn. Then I was hoooked. :)
I started quilting before this on my own, going from a memory of my late Grandmothers quilts. Also memory from elementary school. We do learn from those around us, even if we don't know it at the time.

SarahBeth said...

Thanks, everyone, for your comments - it's been fun reading all the hooking memories :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails