Saturday, September 10, 2011

Pink on a Denmark Beach

I have a thing for rocks. I don't keep a huge collection or anything, but I have some sitting around that are special in one way or another -- where they were found, the shape, the color.

The summer before I began my senior year in high school (no, you're not getting any idea of the year! Let's just say it was a looong time ago...) my brother invited me to visit for part of the summer. He had accepted a research position with Unilever, which is the parent company of Lever Brothers, and had just moved to Holland. And invited me to visit!!

So off I went, on my first flight by the way, to Europe! Alone!

Anyway, back to the rocks....

My brother had several conferences to attend that summer, which was great for me since it took us to several countries we might not have visited otherwise. One was in Copenhagen, Denmark which is an absolutely fantastic place!


In one of our treks around the area, we went to a beach, the likes of which I had never before seen! I was used to the sandy beaches of Florida and Louisiana's Gulf Coast. THIS beach was full of boulders! BOULDERS! Huge! You could climb on them and see for miles! So, of course, I had to bring a couple of rocks home.


The gray one looks like those boulders, only on a much, much smaller scale! I love the smoothness of it.


And the pink one! I love it -- love, love, love it! It's kind of a coral pink with bits of gray and has little sparkles in it. It's hard to see in photos, but the whiter areas are almost glass-like with the sparkles.


These two rocks sit on bookshelves now, and remind me daily of that wonderful trip that my big brother so graciously offered me. A peek at more of the world than a young girl had ever seen. What memories!

Linking to Pink Saturday - check out other pinks here!

♥♥

14 comments:

Della said...

Those are some precious memories you carry around...and your rocks are beautiful. I'm a nature nut myself, and collect a little bit of nature here and there, too.

Visits With Mary said...

I love rocks! I guess that sounds a little crazy but it's true. When I was a little girl I would collect small rocks and then crack them open with a hammer. OHHH...the inside was always beautiful...Your rocks are fascinating, love the mingled colors on the one....))smiles))

Linda E. Pruitt said...

I have some rocks that I collected near the Golden Gate Bridge in SF. We have a collection of lighthouses and the rocks go well with them. I really like your pink one!

Cindy Adkins said...

Your rocks are soooo pretty! Better still, the memories that go along with them! I love to walk in nature, picking up rocks, pinecones, driftwood, etc.

Kathleen said...

How fun! I have picked up rocks from lots of places I have visited. Yours are really pretty! LOL - glad to know I am not the only "rock collector" out there!

Sheryl Hastings said...

Years ago I used to paint on rocks. I actually still have a few of the things I made sitting around. They make a great surface for painting.

That picture of Denmark Beach is breathtaking! I'll bet it was something to see. Now those are some rocks!

pinkkandy said...

It's another Pink Saturday...and I pray each one of you will have a great week-end..and even some pink sugary fun! God Bless you
Kandy

Anonymous said...

You mean that I am not the only one who loves rocks?!?! I wouldn't say that I collect them, though one may question this. One year we visited Tennessee, where I collected huge rocks that were heavy to carry. The now line the walking area along side the driveway.

The sparkly in the pink rock is quartz. I like to bring samples back from places too, reminders of wonderfilled times. Your trip is an awesome happening for a young person ... person of any age ... but especially that you'd never flown, and you did it all by yourself. You must puff up with pride!

Memories for Life said...

What wonderful memories and what an awesome trip! Love your rocks :)

Erika said...

I brought home rocks and sand from my trip to Hawaii. Glad to see that I am not the only that likes rocks!

Rose Clearfield said...

Thanks for sharing that blast from the past! Small rocks are a nice souvenir because they don't take up a lot of room.

Shannon said...

We have random rocks on our book shelve too! It amazing me sometimes how those rocks make it from move to move thru life with us. The do hold some interesting memories.

Maureen Cracknell Handmade said...

Gorgeous rocks! I hope you're wonderful!!!

Jenny said...

I have to admit to taking a few rocks home with me when we travel, but have you heard that is bad luck? I think I heard that specifically in Hawaii.

I also have to admit I think of that when bad luck hits - should I return them? Or would that be an excuse to return to some lovely spots in the world?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails