Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Kipenzi




Kipenzi in Swahili means "loved one" and this baby was so very loved.


 
Giraffe photos courteous of Dallas Zoo

You may remember my post about her birth, which was watched by people worldwide via the "giraffe cam" set up by Animal Planet here at the Dallas Zoo.

It was a sad morning to find out that sweet Kipenzi had died in an accident when the giraffes were being herded into their night barn at the close of the zoo day on Tuesday, April 28. She was an animated and happy baby, just 3 months old, and loved to scamper about. She was playing with her older brother when she took a sharp turn and ran into the edge of a barn that's part of the herd's habitat. She broke three vertebrae in her neck, and died instantly.

The zookeepers gave Katie, Kipenzi's mother, time with her baby before she was taken away. Katie is being kept in a private yard so she can be monitored for signs of distress.

As can be expected, memorials are being set up and people are commenting all over social media. This is a baby that will be sorely missed.



Kipenzi -- 4/10/15 - 7/28/15



sharing on AlphabeThursday for the letter K


♥♥

14 comments:

carol l mckenna said...

This is too sad ~ my heart aches for the little one ~ xo

Happy Week to you,
artmusedog and carol

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That is so sad. What beautiful photos. Hugs, Diane

Annesphamily said...

So sad! I came to my blog because the social media sites like FB are buzzing about the lion Cecil. A sadness all around. Several years ago my sister followed a baby primate born at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado Springs, Colorado . His name was Louie and my sister was so sad after his untimely death. I believe he had some type of rare illness. I hate seeing these stories of loss in our animal kingdom. Giraffe's are unique creatures and I was always amazed by their long tongues when I was a kid. We were allowed to fed them these crackers at the zoo and once and a while their tongue would touch your hand. It was an odd and different feeling. I wonder why Our Lord created them the way He did? SO unique and such a sad story. Thank you for sharing with us today.

Duni said...

So sad :(

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

So sad. Years ago I saw a baby giraffe just hours old at a zoo. I'll never forget how charming and sweet it was.

Unknown said...

How very sad for all of us.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Sad but not so sad when she died of natural causes. just been reading about the American dentist who hunted a famous lion.

Lmkazmierczak said...

Love the name....sorry to hear how she died.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Ohhhhh, that's very sad. I hope her mom mends well.
The View from the Top of the Ladder

Natashalh said...

Poor girl =(

Anonymous said...

So sad.

pasqueflower said...

SO sad -- but a lovely photo of mother / offspring bonding.

Sandra @ Sandra's Ark said...

so very sad and she was so beautiful. I love how graceful giraffes are.

Jenny said...

Such a beautiful tribute to a lovely, graceful baby.

I hope her Mom can move on.

Hugs and thanks for linking to the letter K.

A+

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails