Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A New Challenge

One of the requirements on my BBA (Blogging Business Artisans) Etsy Team is to participate in at least six monthly team challenges over the course of a year. The challenge for January (brought to us by Deb of Storybeader) is to set aside time to work on a new technique that you have wanted to try. (the "uh-oh" part of this challenge is that the project also needs to be COMPLETED! I always have trouble with that part....)

So, I'm thinking about what I want to do for this challenge and decided on ribbon embroidery. I've wanted to try it for a long time, even have a leaflet with "teach yourself" instructions and designs, bought in 2006 from Half Price Books for goodness sake!!


My plan was to make the little heart shown in the middle of the pillow.

Yesterday I went to Joann's where you know they'll have everything you've ever wanted to buy for any project you can come up with....  well, I look in the needlework section, I look in the sewing section, I look in sections you absolutely know ribbon embroidery won't be in. No luck. I ask if they have it anywhere -- turns out they don't carry it anymore!

So down the strip center I go to Hancocks -- of course not. Across the street to Michaels -- nope. Hobby Lobby is across town and I have to get home.

As I am pulling out of the parking lot, my car automatically, with no help from me, turns back in the direction of Joann's -- opposite of home. Decision made!

Back at Joann's -- I decided instead on "technique I've always wanted to try number two" .... punch needle embroidery!! I  knew it was there at Joann's on the needlework aisle. I figure a kit would be the best way to go, but I don't really like any of the designs and you have to purchase the punch needle separately and you need a plastic embroidery hoop -- and I can't find any of mine!! Except for a little 3 inch one.  I've looked for days -- they must have fallen behind stuff in my hoarder's craft closet. Or my daughter has them -- definite possibility. I'll probably have to just buy them again!



Anyway, as I'm looking at the punch needle kits, I see one entitled "Punch Needle for Dummies"  : )  Not the design I would pick but so what!



It's got the design printed on fabric, the thread (and yay! you can use regular DMC embroidery thread of which I have every color imaginable from cross-stitching!), the needle punch tool AND the HOOP!! Yahoo!!



So, here I go, ready with my new project. And, if I really love it, I'm sure it will show up in my shop too!!!

(and if I ever find that elusive silk ribbon, you can bet I'll try the ribbon embroidery!!)

♥♥

14 comments:

SleightGirl said...

Great choice. Though I've never done either, I like the punch embroidery better.

www.AllThingsTangled.blogspot.com

Rose Clearfield said...

This looks like a lot of fun! I've never done punch embroidery either and look forward to seeing the final result. Best of luck tracking down the ribbon embroidery, too. Have you looked online?

Jenny said...

Exciting! I don't think I've ever heard of punch embroidery so I'm excited to see your project develop!

Splendid Little Stars said...

Wow! no more silk embroidery stuff???!
Punch embroidery looks like fun, too. Good luck with your project!

Linda E. Pruitt said...

I guess you were looking for a kit for silk ribbon embroidery? I haven't seen them in years. I love ribbon embroidery! I purchase my own supplies separately. A good author for ribbon embroidery is Ann Cox.

Jenny said...

Good luck on the new project!!

Go figure that no one had the silk ribbon, I guess it just wasn't meant to be...

BeadedTail said...

I've never heard of either of those techniques but I hope we get to see your finished punch project!

storybeader said...

great post! That's just what I was hoping to hear: adventures from fella teammates! I think the roses are pretty. Can't wait to see the finished piece! {:-D

Kathleen said...

Both of the techniques look like a lot of fun! Looking forward to finding out how you like them!

Memories for Life said...

This looks like fun! Kits are great for trying new things for sure!

Anonymous said...

Cute! I just felt your pain, imagining driving around hitting every craft store with fingers crossed. I've done that before- it's maddening! I'm glad you ended up with something you are excited about despite! Good luck!

Erika said...

What a great challenge! I have heard of punch embroidery but never tried; I cannot wait to see how yours turns out.

Erika
Artful Rising

Miss Hillbilly said...

Either would be a great challenge to learn! I really want to learn latch hook rugs. Not like the kind at the craft store. They are made of wool and beautiful. It's on my someday list.

Judy Nolan said...

I haven't done punch needle embroidery in so long, I don't know where my needles are...and would probably have to buy supplies all over again, just as you said you might have to do with your embroidery hoop! I hope you'll show us the finished project.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails