Thursday, April 25, 2013

Andy Williams

OK, I admit it. I have loved Andy Williams since I was in Junior High. He's one of my two very favorite singers (along with the very wonderful Neil Diamond). Such a beautiful voice.... such beautiful love songs.


I had always wanted to see him perform in Branson, Missouri
but, alas, it was not to be


"Moon River" 


singing on his TV show -- 1961


I always watched his TV show though, and his Christmas specials.
He introduced the Osmond Brothers 
(and "little Donny Osmond" as he was referred to back then at age 5)


For fun, here's Donny's first appearance on Andy's show, 1963


You may -- or may not -- remember his beautiful French wife, Claudine Longet who would appear with him on his Christmas TV specials.


Andy, Claudine and family

It was a sad day when they divorced in 1975, but they had been separated since 1970 although she still appeared on the Christmas specials (I doubt if the public knew that they were separated. It was a kind of fairy tale marriage.)

In 1976 or maybe 1977, Claudine was charged for fatally shooting her boyfriend,  "Spider" Sabich who was an Olympic medalist and champion skier. Andy stood by her and believed that it was an accident -- she served 3 months in jail for criminally negligent homicide.


His Christmas specials were always fun to watch!
Along with Claudine, he'd have his brothers on and lots of special guests.
And, of course, the Osmonds were there too!


and yes, lots of "lovely" Christmas sweaters!
(do you think this one would qualify for the "ugly sweater" contest?)


"It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year"


a little cheesy but, hey, it was the 70s!


"It's the Holiday Season" with his brothers -- 1964


  They always sat on stools and wore look-alike sweaters!
Yep, cheesy  : ) 


"For You" with Johnny Mathis


Johnny Mathis is another one of my favorites singers!
He and Andy are performing on Andy's TV show --
 you'll have to listen to a bit of an intro but it's well worth the wait 
'cause the song and dance is priceless! 
They were quite the athletes.... 
(and remember, these shows were live broadcasts!)

I sure do miss Andy....
but I've got some CDs and a couple of vinyls!


linking over at Miss Jenny's for Alphabe-Thursday where we are studying the letter W.


Jenny Matlock


♥♥

9 comments:

Sandra Tyler said...

wow. forgot about him!

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

My mom always loved him...we always watched the Christmas specials!

Pam Beers. said...

Now there's a blast from the past. I always like him, too. Great photos especially of his ex-wife Claudine Longet. I actually have a record album of hers I still listen to on an old stereo. Yes, vinyl records. Talk about dating oneself.
Thanks for the "W" memories.

Jim said...

I liked Andy Williams too, Sarah. He was a 'regular guy' kind of singer who could have lived next door and we would still like him.

Thanks for peeking in on my "W" Willie Nelson. He is a neat guy too, in his own sort of way. Alan Jackson is okay too.

BTW, my car radio generally stays on one of our two Houston classic rock stations but when they are on looonng commercials I go local CW.
..

debra @ homespun said...

oh this brings back memories :) my mom just loved him

Linda B said...

I remember him. My mom loved him too.

Good post.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Great walk down memory lane.

storybeader said...

ok now. You're showing your age! What a wonderful voice he had, and such soothing music. Fun post - yes, memory lane for sure! {:-D

Jenny said...

What a Wonderful tribute to Andy Williams...

He definitely had a Way With turning Words into a musical masterpiece...

Great post for the letter W...

Thanks for linking!

A+

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails